Why Take an Istanbul Airport Taxi
With an Istanbul airport taxi, you will definitely travel in comfort and style. Istanbul taxis are divided into three categories: orange “C” type taxis are small, economical vehicles (like Fiat Aegea, Renault Clio, etc.) while blue “D” type taxis are medium-value, more comfortable cars (like Opel Insignia, etc). Lastly, the black “E” type taxis are luxurious and provide premium services. Each category-fee is formed accordingly. Therefore, if you travel on a budget, you should take a cheap, orange taxi whereas if the price isn’t an issue, you can enjoy a perfect and elegant transfer with the most expensive black taxis.
Moreover, Istanbul airport taxis offer door-to-door services. Available 24/7 at the airport, taxis will drop you off at the exact location of your accommodation, a fact extremely important taking into account the chaotic streets and the vast size of the city. However, traffic congestion is, unfortunately, an everyday fact in Istanbul resulting in rides that last forever and of course in highly expensive total fares.
We selected one of the best, most trustworthy and convenient 5-star airport taxi companies for your transfer from Istanbul airport based on user reviews across various platforms such as Google, Tripadvisor and Trustpilot. Welcome Pickups offers a great experience and safety to its travellers.
- Local English-speaking drivers
- Flat, pre-paid fee
- Flight monitoring for delays
- 24/7 Customer support + free cancellation
Istanbul Airport Taxi Fares and Prices
Istanbul airport taxis are metered and hence, there are no fixed, pre-determined prices for rides to the city center. In any case, as Istanbul Airport is located at the Arnavutköy district in a 40-km distance from Taksim area, you can expect to reach your destination in approximately 40 minutes and be charged approximately 31.6€/34.7$ (200₺). Separate night rates no longer exist but you should keep in mind that the notorious Istanbul traffic may increase the final price dramatically.
Istanbul Airport Taxi Fees to Popular Destinations
Get a glimpse of the Istanbul Airport Taxi Fares from Istanbul Airport to the most popular destinations of the city:
|From||To||Price (€)||Price ($)||Price (₺)||Duration|
|Istanbul Airport||Istanbul City Center||31.6||34.7||200||40 min|
|Istanbul Airport||Sultanahmet||26||31.3||180||33 min|
|Istanbul Airport||Fatih||25.5||28.6||165||30 min|
|Istanbul Airport||Sabiha Gokcen Airport||45||49.5||285||56 min|
|Istanbul Airport||Eminonu||25.5||28.6||165||34 min|
|Istanbul Airport||Besiktas||27.6||30.4||175||36 min|
|Istanbul Airport||Avcilar||27||29.8||171||36 min|
Where is the Taxi Rank at Istanbul Airport?
It is extremely important to take your airport taxi from the official taxi rank in order to avoid getting scammed or overcharged. At Istanbul Airport, you will find the airport taxis queuing up outside the Domestic and International Arrivals Areas, in the Plaza Section. Official taxi ranks can also be found at the Departures Floor and the Other Arrival Floor. However, if you have pre-booked your taxi transfer, the pick-up location will be on the -2 floor.
Airport Taxi from Istanbul Airport to Hotel
If your hotel doesn’t provide airport pick-up and transfer and you want to avoid the hassle of the public transportation, then Istanbul airport taxis are the perfect choice for your transfer to your hotel or accommodation. Airport taxis are at your disposal no matter the day or time you are landing at IST airport, provide door-to-door services from the airport to the hotel and offer relaxed and stress-free journeys. After a long and tiring flight, can you think of anything better?
Istanbul Airport Taxi Tips
- Most of the Istanbul taxi drivers don’t accept credit/debit cards and therefore, you should have cash with you.
- It is advised to pay in Turkish Liras (the local currency) despite being able to pay in euro/dollars as the exchange rate won’t be favorable.
- You should use a navigation app during your transfer to be certain that your taxi driver has picked the quicker route.
- The taxi fare is calculated by a taximeter, per ride and not per person.
- Always check if the taximeter is reset and switched on when entering your cab.
- Having your hotel’s address written down is always a good idea as most of the Turks taxi drivers don’t speak English.
- If you are on a hurry or if you travel on a budget, you should avoid taking a taxi during peak hours (7:30am-9:00am and 5:00pm-7:30pm) since the traffic will be heavy.
- Never trust individuals who offer taxi services. You should always and in any case take your cab from the official taxi stand.
- Two of the most well-known taxi apps in Istanbul are BiTaksi and iTaksi, in case you want to book your taxi in advance.
How much is a taxi from Istanbul airport to Taksim?
The ride from Istanbul Airport (IST) to Taksim area in the city center costs approximately 31.6€/34.7$ (200₺) and should last around 40 minutes. As Istanbul taxi fares are calculated via a taximeter, the final fee will, unfortunately, be subject to the traffic conditions which are usually congested.
How much is taxi from Istanbul airport to Sultanahmet?
Istanbul Airport taxis don’t offer set fares but their rate is determined by a taximeter based on distance and time. Nevertheless, you can expect to be charged about 26€/31.3$ (180₺) while the trip duration will be approximately 33 minutes. Keep in mind, though, that the legendary Istanbul traffic may raise the cost and the length of your journey.
Do taxis take credit cards in Istanbul?
Unfortunately, most of the taxi drivers don’t even have the necessary terminals for credit cards. Therefore, you should be prepared to pay in cash and have money with you, preferably Turkish liras.